Friday, March 13, 2009

Walking in Step with God



My two golden retrievers amaze me. They are very perceptive.

They sleep on the floor in our room and when the alarm goes off they begin to wonder. "Is today the day?" "Do we get to go with our buddies on a long walk?" "Could it really be?!" And, they begin to watch me very carefully. "Is she getting out her workout clothes or street clothes?" The hat, the sweat pants, and the running shoes are dead giveaways.

As soon as they see what I am wearing, they "rejoice with gladness" with non-stop tail wagging, when I am wearing workout clothes. They begin to follow me into every room in the house, and wait in the family room while I make the lunches. They even somehow realize that there is a slight time delay in getting ready and getting the kids off to school, before their walk begins.

But, when I emerge in street clothes instead, they just lift up their heads, look at me and go back to sleep on the floor.

When I see their ability to perceive what is going on, it sometimes makes me wonder about my own ability to perceive what is going on in my own life. Am I that aware of God in my midst? Do I recognize His presence and His plans for me for the day?

Now, what my dogs REALLY don't understand is when I emerge in workout clothes but there is no walk for them, because I am instead headed for the gym where no dogs are allowed. It's a bit of a bait and switch, and a real bummer for them. But, somehow, they don't seem to hold any grudges and are just as happy to be with me when they get to go on their next walk.

I think I can learn a lot from my two pals, Daisy and Lily...

Dear Lord,

Help us to be in step with You and Your plans for us. Help us to be aware of all that you are doing in our midst. And, when we don't understand, help us to trust You because of your great love for each of us.

Money Saving Tip for the Day

I learned a fun tip from John Piper's blog yesterday (his link is posted under the right side column of my blog). He said that you can go to http://share.go-backstage.com/pagecxvi and download some new modern day recordings of some classic hymns. It's absolutely free, I tried it last night. (It's also cool because apparently CXVI stands for the page number where Aslan sings Narnia into being in CS Lewis' writings.)

So, take a look, download them onto your iPod and go take a long walk with God (and your dogs, of course.)


Now go and enjoy every moment!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment