Monday, March 9, 2009

The Little Green Table Then and Now




Early on in our marriage, my husband and I travelled to Hungary, behind what was the Iron Curtain at the time. We met a darling missionary couple from the US who were investing their lives with considerable risk and living in Budapest. We were invited over to their apartment and the wife showed us a little green colored table that she had found on an old estate. She bought it for a song and said to me, "I just love how God knows how much I love bargains and provided this for us."

Do you know how someone can say something and they don't even realize that it was significant to you? It made an impact on me because I remember thinking - wow! Does God really care about that for her? For me? Does He love us SO much that He wants to bestow gifts upon us? He does. I have seen over the past twenty years that He loves to do this, because He loves us. He is SO creative, and knows what we will love better than we do ourselves.

Have you asked Him to meet a need in your family's budget? Do you believe He owns everything? "For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills." Ps 50:10.

I think this was the beginning of my quest for bargains...asking God to provide for us as our family grew to six people over the years, in amazing and creative ways. How He is able to do it, I do not know. All I know is that He knows our budget, our needs, our hearts, and our desires. He is able, more than able. And the best part is, when we find a real deal, there is more to give away ultimately back to Him.

Dear Lord,


Help us to come to You as our Provider, Jehovah-Jireh, the giver of every good and perfect gift. Help us to see You meet our needs in unbelievable ways - where the provision can only be attributed to You.

The Little Green Table Now...

I wanted to post the above picture to show you a sampling of some amazing bargains that are out there for everyone to find:

Antique Oval Mirror - Craig's List - $25

Old Man/little girl in the boat painting - Goodwill - Originally $25 at the Goodwill but on sale for half price for $12.50.

Golden bird circle - JoAnn's Fabrics - 30% off - $13.99

My own little green table - (Ethan Allen) - Craig's List - $75 - Originally $269.

Italian Soup Tureen - Estate Sale in San Juan Capistrano - $40 - (The very fun God-thing was that the tureen matched the four cups and saucers we had purchased in Italy, four years prior!)

White Swedish Chair - Craig's List - part of a dining room set - approx $60 - originally $399.

I am convinced that finding the deal is more than half of the fun, especially when we realize WHO helped to guide us to find the deals in the first place!

I'd love for you to post your comments about your favorite deals!

Now go and enjoy every moment!

Kim









1 comment:

  1. I love the story about the table. I have many moments in my life that I know God is providing some little something, I wanted. How wonderful He is to think of me and to love me like He does.
    I have to tell you, as I was driving home from work, I was listening to Chris Fabry Live and heard your blogspot address. I am also very knew to blogging, but I'm having fun.
    May God bless you and your family richly.

    ReplyDelete