Monday, March 16, 2009

"The Dove Dash" - and Deals!



The "Dove Dash"

Do you ever wonder what you're missing, in terms of knowing where God is at work in your community? I know He is always at work. But sometimes in the craziness of life, I am just not able to see it nor to be a part of it.

I was allowed to see a glimpse of Him at work in my community this weekend...
We have an event in our community called, "The Dove Dash." This year was the eighth annual event. It is a 2.5 mile run/walk in support of Ryan Corbin, Pat Boone's grandson. Ryan was 24 years old when he fell through a skylight on a rooftop in LA. A bright, articulate man, engaged to be married, whose dreams were suddenly shattered. Ryan is now in a wheelchair and slowly making progress on his brain injury. Ryan's Reach (http://www.ryansreach.com/) was founded on his behalf in order to help aid brain injured individuals and their families. There is a very moving video of Ryan and his story on the website.

Last year, I REALLY wanted to do the Dove Dash. However, since it is a fundraiser, you need to register ahead of the day of the event. If you decide to just show up, you have to get there around 6:30 am. I didn't get around to registering early last year, so I told my two girls I would wake them up and we would go register and do the run. They were excited the night before. However, when I tried to wake them up at 6:00 am the next day, they both convinced me they would run it next year. So, all three of us went back to sleep!

This year, I was bound and determined to go! I registered myself, my husband, and one of my daughters in advance. It was raining as we walked down our street to the entrance of the community where the race started. It didn't take long for us to realize just how blessed we were to even be a part of this event. Hundreds of runners were there to run for Ryan's cause. Pat Boone dedicated the event, while another gentleman sang the star spangled banner. Just before the gun went off, 20 doves were released into the sky - a symbol of holiness, innocence and fidelity.

During the middle of the run, as I approached the two mile mark, I saw one of Ryan's family members pushing him in his wheelchair. I got all choked up as I was running just thinking of their family's ordeal and how one day in heaven, there will be no more tears or sorrow. Don't you think that some things are just too hard for humans to comprehend and we are just called to trust? This family is an amazing testimony of faith and trust in God, and hope for the future knowing it is in God's hands.

I was in awe of all of the volunteers who it took to pull off this event and to serve a complete sit down pancake breakfast at the end of the run. Even the local grocery store had participated and presented a check to Ryan's Reach for over $6000.

Despite the floundering economy in our land, there was HOPE that tied these members of our community together to support a cause bigger than ourselves.

Despite Ryan's body not working as it used to on this earth, there was HOPE that one day in heaven, he will speak and run as if this had never occurred.

Despite the rain, there was HOPE in the hearts of every runner of the race that they could do a little something, perhaps make a tiny sacrifice, that might help a young individual and others like Ryan.

It was a glimpse of God at work.

I hope the next time God is at work in a mighty way in my neighborhood, I am not sleeping. I wonder what else I may have missed?!

Dear Lord,

Help us to be aware that You are at work. Cause us to remember that you never slumber nor sleep, but You are always at work in our midst. Let us have the eyes to see You and cause us to never be the same again.

The Deals

A friend of mine in Chicago, IL, Stephanie Raquel, told me about a money saving website created by a friend of hers. It is called http://www.bradsdeals.com/ . There are hundreds of coupons available for you to print for all kinds of name brand stores that you will recognize. Some of the savings are up to 75% off of the retail price.

Check it out, so you're not the one wondering what you may have missed!

Now go and enjoy every moment!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment