Friday, March 20, 2009

Paint Colors and Disneyland Days



Paint Colors



What is it about paint colors that makes it SO hard to choose the right color?

You see it in a friend's house, you love the color, you go and buy the can of paint, and then you put it up on your walls and are convinced it is a different color! The paint stores shudder when they see me coming! One time, I bought 11 different cans of paint for the exterior of my house. You see, I had an orange roof, so the color could not go green or it would look like Halloween. And, I couldn't tell until it was up on the exterior. The color looked different when it was sunny out than when it was cloudy.

I feel really sorry for the painters. Their job is to paint and yet how many times have I asked them, "What do you think? Does this go pink or yellow or green when it's on the wall instead of tan?" (Numerous times, that "painter" has been my husband!)

I have learned a few things along the way...

The type and color of flooring you have, the color of your ceilings, whether or not you have a pool outside to reflect the light, all factor into why the color might look different in your friend's home or different on a swatch than in your lovely home.

The Dunn Edwards paint store will give you free samples in the "flat" type of paint when you are working with a painter. You just need to give them your painter's contractor number.

The Entertainment Book has a great coupon for Sherwin Williams paint. A friend of mine saved $25.00 by using it.

Tear out magazine articles where designers suggest paint colors they love and have worked well for them in a number of houses.

Always get a quart or multiple quarts if you are like me! Paint a 2 X 2 square on the wall and look at it in the daytime and in the nighttime, as it will change according to the light.

I've learned that unless you get a really good designer to help you, who understands YOUR style, the designers will often gravitate toward the paint colors that they like. I love light colored walls and invariably, people have suggested much darker colors than I would have naturally chosen or been happy with.

I just recommended a paint color called, "Softer Tan," (Sherwin Williams) to a friend. I had seen it thoughout a beautiful house in Corona del Mar with bright shiny white molding. I used in my office and upstairs and LOVE it! It does not go pink, nor yellow, if anything it gives off a very slight hint of green like a beautiful khaki. Try it, you just might like it!

Finally, in the end, it's best to follow the old German proverb, "Choose what you love and love what you choose."

And, always remember that it's just paint. The room can always be repainted...like my chocolate brown dining room that I had to change back to white, or my white color that was just a tad yellow and we had to repaint it the RIGHT shade of white.

So, what is the inspirational or spiritual insight from this post? Marry someone who is REALLY patient with you when you are choosing paint colors! And, be thankful for how patient our God is with us at all times!!

Dear Lord,

Thanks for being the God of all creation, who created every color into existence. Thank you that You do not grow weary of us and are always patient and loving. Help us to use your strength to be the same toward others.


Disneyland Days

Did you know that this year in 2009, you can go to Disneyland free on the day of your birthday? So fun! You can sign up simply by logging onto http://disneyland.disney.go.com. My friend, Teresa Genoway, has tried this out and had a blast with her kids. She also found out that you are eligible to then return to the other park (California Adventure or Disneyland) within 30 days for free as well. So, it's basically two days for free! One of the perks for living 20 minutes away from the Greatest Place on Earth!

Now go and enjoy every moment!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment