Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cupcakes and More Cupcakes






Cupcakes...


I'd like to begin by saying that the photo of this cupcake is definitely NOT a picture of what my homemade cupcakes look like. Can any of you relate? Have you ever just had one of those days that seems to spiral in slow motion downwards? Yep. For me, that was Wednesday of this week.


My daughter's birthday is Saturday and she asked that I bring 45 cupcakes for her swim team. ("Mom, most moms bring pizza, drinks, and dessert for the WHOLE team.") "Today, HONEY, I am just making cupcakes quickly before I drive your sisters and brother to soccer, dance, youth group, and take you to swim practice..."


My plan was to make "red velvet" cupcakes. I should have known something was up when I placed the batter in the oven and it looked a bit suspicious. It was speckled, a bit like a leopard's skin. I thought maybe the four sticks of butter had something to do with it! Two seconds later, the phone rang and it was a dear friend whom I hadn't talked to in several years.

As we talked and talked, I kept checking the cupcakes as they began to morph before my eyes. At first they looked somewhat normal. However, by the end of the baking time, they had fallen along with my expectations of having anything close to "velvet" in appearance. Finally, when I pulled all 45 cupcakes out of the oven, they had shrunken to inverted unrecognizable shells about 1/4" thick just coating the cupcake paper liners. The color that was supposed to be red resembled more of an unappetizing color of brown/red, a bit like Indian clay gone bad.


I could not figure out where I had gone wrong with this internet recipe until finally it dawned on me. The recipe had said to set aside the flour at the beginning. (I had instead thought, why? I'll just add it directly to the recipe later.) I had forgotten to add a simple SEVEN CUPS of flour to my cupcakes for the masses. Why, Lord, I asked? Why?


Could this have anything to do with the verse I am memorizing in my Bible study right now - James 1:2, "Consider it ALL joy my brethren when you encounter various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance...."

Needless to say, after a total of three trips to the same grocery store in a single day to purchase additional ingredients and ingredients I kept forgetting, the cupcakes were baked from a box.


Did I also mention that my husband was at home sick that whole day with the flu? And did I remember to mention that you might want to close the rear windows of your van when you go through the car wash?

Dear Lord,

On days that just seem beyond crazy and out of control, would you help me to keep my focus? Would you help me to keep my eyes fixed on you and to keep persevering? Would you bring glory to yourself somehow through this frail body of mine? Thank you for love and unending grace.

More Cupcakes

Here is a splurge tip for the recessionary times in which we live. Go on a date with your husband to "Sprinkles" - a cupcake bakery in Corona del Mar. It is a darling little store that specializes in cupcakes. They are perfect, beautiful, and just like the pictures. Their packaging is exquisite and everything is perfectly in its place, a welcome change from a life with four children! Did I mention that one of their specialties is "red velvet" cupcakes that are REALLY red with white icing?

At first, I thought it was a joke that a single cupcake was priced at $3.25. Now, I'm beginning to think it is a real bargain. And for $7.50, with a cupcake for you and your husband, it's a pretty cheap date!

Now go and enjoy every moment!

Kim


1 comment:

  1. This post is hilarious....I can totally relate!

    And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sprinkles! I go there about every other week...so delicious!

    ReplyDelete