Monday, February 16, 2009

Beach Days and Beach Bargains

Beach Days

"How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them. Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of the sand. When I awake, I am still with you." Psalm 139:17-18

On Valentine's Day, while standing on the sand, we saw a whale spouting out in the ocean. Do you love the beach? I love the beach. It's probably my top reason for loving living in southern California. I love the wide expanse of the ocean, the smell of the salt in the air, the wind blowing in my hair, watching my dog try to catch the waves, seeing the joy on the little kids' faces as they play in the water, and watching the adults deep in conversation...trying to grab a little bit of sanity in the hecticness of their lives.
What always amazes me is that the roads are often packed with cars, and yet unless it is a 95 degree plus day inland, the beaches are rarely packed with people. I would rather go to the beach to unwind, go for a run, or just be with my family there than anywhere else in the world. I've lived a lot of different places and have tried to figure out what it is about the beach that I enjoy so much. I think it is that the beach gives me space in my mind, space in my thoughts.
The beach helps me remember the power of the one whom I serve.
"Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb;
When I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness,
When I fixed the limits for it and set its doors in place,
When I said, "Thus far you may come and no farther, here is
where your proud waves halt?"
Job 38:8-11
The beach reminds me of my frailty, of my humanness, and of my dependence on my creator. It reminds me of His strength, and utter power. Does this resonate with you? Do you believe as Job later chose to believe, "I know that You can do ALL things. No plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2
He loves you. He is all powerful. And even though it may not seem like it today, He knows what is best for you because of His unending love for you. We need to claim this truth, believe it, and choose to live by it.
Dear Lord,
You are great. You are sovereign. You are all-powerful. Even the winds and the seas obey you. Help us as fragile, frail people to obey you as well and to follow your ways. We love you.
Beach Bargains
We happened to stop by some stores on the Newport Coast during our day at the beach. My first instinct was, I'm sure they'll be WAY too expensive for my budget. However, we stopped in at the Gap, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor Loft and I was pleasantly surprised. I walked to the back of the stores to their sale racks and here were my top bargains:
A Valentine's shirt for my daughter for .01 cent - that's right. One penny!
A cute skirt for me that started at $44.00, was marked down to $4.88, and then discounted another 20% for a total price of $3.90.
A pretty pair of lined black pants that originated at $78.00, marked down to $9.88, and then discounted another 20% for a total price of $7.91.
So, just because the location was ritzy and the stores are higher priced, it's worth checking the sale racks....you just never know what bargains might be waiting for you and your budget!
Now go and enjoy every moment (and take a trip to the beach, it'll do you wonders!)
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment